Monday, 15 September 2014

DIY - My AM & PM Cleansers

Sketch by Asmiya Basheer
The idea of following natural remedies came in my mind when I was pregnant. If you have read my preggo posts you would know I used to follow babycenter.com for all pregnancy related issues. That’s when I read about skin care ingredients you should avoid in your pregnancy (click to read them). I checked the ingredients list on the products I was using and Gosh! Most of the products had one or two of the prohibited ingredients. This kind of put a start to finding more natural ways to deal with my skincare. I started getting pimples on my face at the age of 14. I became conscious about my looks. I tried some products like Nomarks, Vicco Turmeric, Himalaya products, etc..but my condition only worsened. My hands used to itch to use those expensive luxurious looking products in the shops but then either my parents wouldn’t allow me to buy them or I couldn’t afford them. That is how I first started doing natural remedies for my skin. I have tried so many things I read from the magazines or saw on TV. Some gave good results, some worsened it, some showed no effect.
Well, it took me some time to understand that I should stick to one routine once I see its suiting me and continue it long to get good results. Unlike commercial products, you need to give it time to see the results.That routine went on until I was in my college and got lazy to mix up things on my own. I had started working then. Work and college really tired me out and I completely stopped caring for my skin. Once in a while I would do some face pack or something but other than that I used all store bought stuff. From cleanser, to face packs to creams was all store bought. They gave temporary results and the busy life never made me look back until now! Yes! Now…in my twenties after having a baby! My life has only got busier but now I have made up my mind to make some time for myself.
Today I will share with you the 2 cleansers I have been using since 2 months. I am seeing very good results to my skin. It is so easy to prepare and use. I had completely forgotten about these masks and how effective it was to keep my skin healthy for a long time now. I am again going back to these natural methods again. There is nothing like natural treatments. Try it and you will agree to this too. It will also save you a ton of expense! It might look difficult to do in the beginning but after continuing it sternly for 2 or 3 weeks, you will automatically follow it further.

AM Cleanser

After using this I don't require any other cleanser until night time unless I apply makeup. I use this 5 times a week. On Mondays and Thursdays I use a homemade scrub which acts as a cleanser too (stay tuned for the recipe).
Method
  • Powdered Oats - 1 cup
  • Chickepea flour - 1 cup
  • Turmeric Powder (Kasthuri) - 1 teaspoon 
  • Red Sandlewood Powder - 1 teaspoon

  • Coffee Powder - 1 teaspoon 
I prefer to powder the oats for easy application, you can use it as such too. Mix all together and store it in an air tight container in your washroom.

First thing in the morning, I mix half a teaspoon from this mixture with a little water to make a smooth paste and apply it on my face. I leave it on while I brush my teeth and go through other chores. You need to leave it only for 5 minutes as it dries pretty quickly. Once dry, pat water and wet the mask. Gently massage your face like how you would with a face wash, it feels like a smooth cream and not like scrub. After that just wash it off. Voila! 
With just one one use I felt my skin clean, smooth and soft. With continuous use now I have felt my skin really healthier and supple. Off late because of all the stress and sleeplessness my skin was freaking out and I got lot of white heads all over my face. This cleanser has helped my skin calm down and ofcourse I also had to catch up on my sleep and relax from inside too!
 PM Cleanser


This was a face mask I used to do religiously since I was 14. It was when my face had started covering up with pimples and I was totally devastated at the state of my face. During a vacation to my home country, Kerala, my aunt (father’s sister to be exact) introduced me to two face mask which she said would help with my skin issues and keep my skin healthy. This was one of them. It had helped me immensely with the excess oiliness of my skin and pimples. She also taught me another mask to keep my skin clear and clean which I will be writing about shortly.
Method
  • Lemon - 1
  • Honey - equal quantity of lemon juice
Mix and store in refrigerator. I use this quantity up to 1-2weeks. Just apply on skin, leave it on for 20 minutes (if you are short of time - 5 minutes will do too) and rinse. People with dry skin can add yogurt to this mix but add it only when you are about to use it on face. The lemon juice can cause slight stingy and itchy feel but that's normal. But if you are allergic or sensitive to any of this ingredient, consult your dermatologist first.

Oats help moisturize and calm skin in face. It also helps to reduce itchiness associated with everything from dandruff to chicken pox. Oatmeal contains chemicals known as saponins that are characterized by their intense cleansing properties.
Chickpea flour is a great natural cleanser and helps to improve skin texture. Manganese in chickpeas causes skin cells to produce energy and fights wrinkle-causing free radicals. Molybdenum detoxifies skin by removing sulphites. Other nutrients like folate and Vitamin B work as fuel for the skin cells. They repair damage from the sun and harmful toxins.
Kasthuri Turmeric or Wild Turmeric Powder (Scientifically known as Curcuma aromatica) has anti-oxidants, anti-inflammatory, anti-septic and anti-bacterial properties. The yellow pigment in the turmeric makes the skin brighter. It also helps in removing facial hair and pimple marks, when used for a longer time. This is not the regular turmeric we use in food, Kasthuri turmeric powder is not edible.I get mine from Abu Dhabi Flour Mill or tell someone in India to bring it for me. Now don't fret if you don't find this, you can use just the oats-chickpea flour and still get good results.
Red Sandlewood Powder has both antiseptic and astrigent properties. It is used in anti aging treatments and helps reduce blemishes, scars, improve skin tone and overall health of the skin. People also use it for reducing excess body heat and sweating.
Coffee contains Caffeine that has potent anti-inflammatory properties that make it ideal for reducing inflammation and redness in your skin. It is a rich source of anti-oxidants, smoothens and brightens skin, enhances circulation, has de-puffing and skin-firming properties and is also said to protect skin from Sun damage.
 Honey has antibacterial, anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory and healing properties. It draws out impurities from the skin and moisturizes it.
Lemon has astringent and antiseptic properties which clears excess perspiration and eliminate unwanted shine. It contains enzymes, acids, vitamins, and minerals which contribute to healthy skin, help to rid the skin of dead cells and brighten it.

These are things that has helped me. You can custom make this to your preference and ease. Some people just use one ingredient like besan, oats or honey for cleansing and still get good results. The important step is to follow it continuously. I haven't completely stopped using cleansers, I do keep one handy for emergencies. My favorite is the Neutrogena Deep Clean Cleanser (click to read my review on it). It does not dry out my skin yet cleanses well.

Hope you will benefit from this DIY!
Bubye

8 comments:

  1. What a lovely post, Abi!. I am just loving the AM cleanser. Is that ok for normal/dry skin?. Coffee powder huh?. Now that's very interesting. Will try it out one day if it's compatible to my skin.. Lovely post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Naz...
      Thanku for the sweet words. My sister has normal to dry skin and we have been using this from 2 months now. She feels her skin soft and supple. When our first batch got over and she started using other cleansers, she felt her skin become dry and tight again. Now we are on our 2nd batch :) :)

      Delete
    2. Oh that's great!. Will definitely try this out sometime. Btw, I love the cute pic your sis drew ♡

      Delete
    3. Aww..Thank you so much Naz :) <3 She would be very happy to hear this :)

      Delete
  2. Abidha, I love your post so so much.I usually use natural skin care stuff myself and thrilled to see your post with excellent explanation. Bravo!!! What would you suggest for removing the pigmentation around mouth area, due to hormones? I am trying lots of things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to see your comment Praseena :) Thank you so much for the sweet words :) I am not an expert but I have heard turmeric, lemon juice, mint leaves juice helps a lot with removing pigmentation. But the results with using natural treatments would be slow. You should check out the website http://beautytips4her.com/
      they have wonderful natural treatment recipes :) Hope this helps...

      Delete
  3. Hi Abi... Hats off to you girl for going natural..Been wanting to do it for so long but always tempted by stores... But in the long run you are going to benefit so much..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am truly seeing benefits from going natural! I can understand the temptations, especially you ;) but try going slow and gradual..here and there...you'll love it! :) Thank you for your sweet words dear <3

      Delete

Do drop in your comments as I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Be sure to check back, I make every effort to reply to your comments :)